Tuesday, April 29

The Hobbit

Since the boys started school, most "dressing up" days have been the same despite the years between the boys. We've had Victorian days, Tudor days and Greek days. They've been Character's from books for World Book Day, not forgetting all the Christmas play's where over the years they've been Sheep, Stars, Rudolph, Joseph...and even an Angel...which someone wasn't impressed with. 
We've also been Knights, Kings, Ugly Sisters, Policemen, Blue's Brothers and Cowboys.
Last year was a new one...........Hobbit day. Oh yes, they were reading the Hobbit and someone decided that they would introduce a Hobbit day. I mean...really!! With no "already to hand" outfit from previous years...we had to get creative. I searched the internet for Hobbit outfits and you know they are so expensive. The outfits and images did remind me that we had an adults Pirate and Wench outfit hanging in the wardrobe (oh yes! ....a story for another day :)! ) 

So the bloomers looked like full length trousers on him and the waistcoat was more like a cloak. The shirt has been previously used for Victorian and Tudor day's. All he needed was some elf ears and ....I think we pulled it off.
Papers and Stickers from Studio Calico



 The Pirate outfit has since been adapted.....would you believe it, if I said that at the last school production he was Adam Ant. Sadly I am just old enough to remember Adam Ant! 
More on good ole Adam and the Ants in another post.

So, what's the most challenging school theme you've come across?

17 comments:

  1. well done with the costumes.... and a great page..... I remember Adam and the Ants! Looking forward to that post Louise! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luckily we've never had anything too challenging and being able to sew a bit is very handy! I think the first things I made were an angel costume for A's first nativity play and a black cloak lined with red at S' request (had to be a red lining!) for Halloween, when he was four. The Tudor outfit was probably the most work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive, Louise. We have been fortunate that my daughter was the only one who needed a character costume and she chose Judy Moody, who made all of her own costumes too.
    ** And I always have Adam and the Ants on my iPod.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You certainly pulled it off, he looks like a great hobbit x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely layout & well done on the costume!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a great end result, too cute! Love the layout too. I think the one of ours that ended up being the most work was a Toucan costume and the easiest was definitely Diary of a Wimpy Kid for book character day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your certainly did pull it off, as you did with the page - I love that layering inbetween the photos. You have a great eye for balance and design!

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha! Hobbit Day - that's brilliant. If it happened round here I just know what would happen: there'd be a lot of "Short" jokes. I can't think of anything to match that.

    I just love the colours in your page. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great day to have makes a change from the togas etc we have here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm old enough to remember Adam & the Ants!!
    Great page & costumes x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely costume and page. I 'met' Adam once so yes I'm old enough to remember him too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a lovely, little snippet of life preserved :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a new one on me - you managed to come up trumps though - great page

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant! The page and the costumes!!! We are pretty big on homemade costumes in my house too... the hardest must be from last Halloween (which includes a parade at school) where DS2 was a tornado :) I probably need to scrap that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a great outfit - well done on being so creative (although no surprise there though!) Love the page and how it's very monochrome - really works with the photos. My worst one was when Alex announced she wanted to be Violet from Lemony Snicket for WBD!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look great! Ours are fairly generic with a large choice so nothing too scary as yet but we ave a few school years to catch up on yours.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...